Thursday, August 19, 2010

Bulgogi - Beef Korean Style


This is probably one of my all time favorite dishes from growing up. It is the kind of comfort food that brings me right back to my childhood. I remember when my mother used to cook this, the smell would perfume the entire house, and every minute I had to wait to eat was torture! I'm salivating just thinking about it.

I thought that it was just me (and probably every other Korean child) that loved this dish, but it isn't so. When I made this for SB for the first time, he couldn't get enough of it. I believe the words out of his mouth were "I could eat this every day for the rest of my life!"

But without further ado here it is:
  • 2 lbs of beef sliced into thin strips against the grain (any cut of your choice is fine - obviously the more tender of a cut the better but you don't have to go crazy)
  • 1/2 cup of soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup of brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons of Mirin
  • 1/4 cup of beef broth (or water is fine too)
  • 1 teaspoon minced ginger (or ground through microplane)
  • 3 cloves of minced garlic (or ground through microplane)
  • 1 small onion julienned
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 diced green onions
In a mixing bowl combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, Mirin, beef broth (or water), ginger and garlic and toss the beef strips in the marinade and set aside. In a frying saute the julienned onion in olive oil. When the onions are translucent, turn up the heat to high, and all the entire beef marinade mixture. Cook until the beef is cooked through. The cooking times will vary depending on how hot the pan is and how thinly sliced the beef is. Turn the heat off and as a finishing touch sprinkle the green over the top and it's ready to be served. I will generally served with over brown rice with a side of kimchi. In Korea no meal is complete without a side of kimchi :).

Happy eating!!

J

2 comments:

  1. Yum. I love it too! But I also add some pear or apple sauce to the marinade + sesame oil (I'm crazy for sesame oil) + crushed sesame seeds + ground pepper.

    I hope my kids will come to like it too as they grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so delish it's hard not to like :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails